April is Alcohol Awareness Month. Therefore, it seems like an appropriate time to encourage people to make smart choices. Drinking and driving simply do not mix, for your safety or for your wallet.
Drunken-driving crashes claim more than 10,000 lives per year, or roughly one every 50 minutes, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration reports.
In addition, according to the Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles, the penalties for a first DUI conviction include:
• A fine between $500 and $1,000.
• 50 hours of community service.
• Probation of one year or less.
• Imprisonment of six months or less.
• Imprisonment of nine months or less with a blood-alcohol level of .15 or higher with a minor involved.